Start your Sunday morning off right some hot and delicious cannabis waffles.
Rise and shine! It’s a lazy Sunday morning, and waffles are on the mind. What better day of the week to whip out the waffle maker and lay out a big brunch? Better yet, why not elevate the experience with a relaxing addition? With a bit of cannabis butter or cannabis milk, Sunday is also the perfect time to mix up a batch of cannabis waffles.
Cannabis Waffles as Early Morning Medibles
Generally speaking, most patients who consume medical cannabis will dose once in the morning and once before bed. Of course, depending on the specific medical condition or the severity of the symptoms, a maintenance puff or two throughout the day may be necessary.
For some, a larger dose in the morning helps start the day off on the right foot. Just as the effects of the before-bed dose completely dissipate, a morning medible puts symptoms back in check. Why not take that in the form of buttery cannabis waffles?
Honestly, for patients that require medical cannabis daily, it’s a fun way to mix things up. The same chemovar and terpene profile used daily to help with symptoms of inflammation, stress, or pain can easily be the strain used in the cannabis butter or cannabis milk. And waffles are a delicious re-take on a few drops of tincture or a capsule.
Plus, on a Sunday, it’s best to lean into those relaxing Sunday vibes. Throw on some tunes and unwind.
Cannabis-Infused Ingredients in Your Pantry
Hopefully, you will have a stash of cannabis butter (cannabutter) tucked into the back corner of your refrigerator, just waiting to get used in a batch of cannabis waffles. Cannabis butter is easy to make, using either the slow cooker or a stovetop water bath method. It keeps for months in a glass container in the refrigerator (or longer in the freezer). This is one of the most versatile ingredients to have on hand.
But, beyond cannabis butter, these waffles can be taken up another notch with the addition of cannabis milk. It’s not as commonly used, but still a useful cannabis-pantry staple ingredient. Here’s how to make it.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Milk
- 4 cups milk (do not use skim milk, whole fat is best)
- 7 grams of decarboxylated cannabis
- Add cannabis and milk to a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, grab a heavy pot, fill it with about two inches of water, and put a metal mixing bowl on top. Add the milk to the mixing bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil, and stir the milk mixture constantly. Allow the milk to simmer, but turn the temperature down if it begins to boil. Do not boil the milk.
- Stirring frequently, simmer gently for forty-five minutes.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth into a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to Make Cannabis Waffles
Recipe Adapted From Cannadish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cannabutter (melted)
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cannabutter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups of cannabis milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings of your choice
- Turn the waffle iron on to allow it time to warm up.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Set whites aside.
- In a second bowl, beat egg yolks to aerate. Add all wet ingredients, including cannabis butter and cannabis milk. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring only until no more dry clumps remain.
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form, and gently fold into the batter.
- Using the waffle iron (and according to the manufacturer’s instructions), start making cannabis waffles!
- Once cool, waffles can be kept for up to five days in the refrigerator or months in a freezer. Use a toaster oven to reheat as needed.
A Note on Cannabis Waffle Toppings
The easiest way to transform cannabis waffles from a sweet, delectable treat into a more nutritious dish is through the toppings. If you want to make cannabis waffles a healthy morning medible, forgo the syrup and anything with added sugar (fruit compotes and jams).
There are limitless options for healthy cannabis waffle toppings, including yogurt, ghee, fresh fruit, nuts, nut butter, or even a slice of turkey bacon and a poached egg. Take this breakfast into whatever direction you want, with the waffle serving as the blank canvas.
Medibles in the Morning Start the Day Right
Depending on the condition, a big dose of cannabis in the morning might already be an integral part of your routine. It’s what helps you manage mood, mobility, and more. For those patients less familiar with medibles, make sure you start slow and go slow to avoid overdoing it. You may even consider sticking with either cannabis milk or cannabutter, but not both. This will lower the potency of the waffles.
Don’t be afraid to whip up a big batch. Cannabis waffles keep well in the refrigerator or freezer, for dosing throughout the rest of the week. It’s a great way to bring a little dose of Sunday to every day of the week.